Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer[_2_] Charlotte L. Blackmer[_2_] is offline

Default Lent

In article >,
aem > wrote:
>On Mar 5, 10:26 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.
>>
>> Tonight
>>
>> Butter
>> Garlic
>> Shrimp
>> Lemon juice.
>>
>> OK maybe a caper or 2.
>>
>> Parsley garnish
>>
>> Serve over linguini.

>Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Thanks for sharing that. Do you have a recipe?

ObFood, Story Time! Division:

My ex's French-raised maman is not particularly religious, but apparently
thought "Friday fish" was culturally or religiously important enough to do
when he was growing up. She's an awesome cook, but apparently in Manitoba
in the sixties and seventies, "fish" meant canned tuna, canned salmon, and
fish sticks. This is not unsimilar to what I remember from my yoot in
interior California, minus the mountain trout that Dad and Grandpa caught.
Seafood _was_ available for purchase, but would have broken the family
bank. We, however, did not practice fish-on-Friday.

My ex did not want to eat salmon steaks as a result. He had learned the
wonders of smoked salmon (indeed, he used to bring packages home for me
whenever he went to Vancouver to deal with La Migra), but he just wouldn't
eat fresh-cooked salmon, citing the canned stuff he used to get on
Fridays. I told him that it wasn't the same, but he politely declined all
tastes of it at restaurants ... until the day he took me to Chez Panisse
restaurant and, guess what, the one-size-fits-all entree was fresh-caught
salmon fillets. We both cleaned our plates .

Charlotte
(who forebore from teasing, because, yaknow, he took me to CP