Posted to alt.food.barbecue
piedmont piedmont is offline

Default Brisket Recipe

On 3/4/2010 1:05 PM, Kent wrote:
> Happy pre-St. Patrick's Day
> I'm going to do the first of many briskets.
>
> First Attempt:
> 1. 3 hour soak in warm water with potatoes and cabbage; reserve this soak
> to cook veggies in
> 2. rinse and 2nd 1 hour soak in water
> 3. Dry, season with undecided and onto the WSM
>
> Questions:
> What initial temp, how long and what ending temp
> What seasonings and mop schedule? I'm thinking about 1/3water 1/3olive oil
> and 1/3cider vinegar mixed together with rub seasonings.
> To what internal temp? I'm thinking 175F, rather than the usual 190%
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for all advice
>
> Ketn

Kent,
Your on track with presoaking to remove a bit of salt. For cooking it
needs to treated just like any other beef brisket. If it is a piece of
"Flat" it is probably well trimmed of any surface fat, Note; the flat
has much less fat then the 'Point' which has a massive amount of
internal fat. So you may want to consider layering with a layer of fat
back and if you can't find fat back, use thick cut bacon. Cook to
190-195 then take it off heat, allow it to sit 15 minutes then slice.
One fact is this should not be mushy! It should be Al Dente, it should
be sliceable without crumbling too much. In essence you are making
pastrami as pastrami IS cooked corned beef that has been Lightly smoked,
very little smoke flavor. If you are cooking indirectly then I would not
mop, in fact I would presoak in the seasonings that came with it then
cook it.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r