Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen P. Jen P. is offline

Default Favorite appetizers from the Mediterranean shores?

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out
> of season.)

How about kefta or msemen? Or were you thinking of keeping it more
along the Italian and Greek lines? I love stuffed vine leaves. Or maybe
slow-roast tomato and feta on bruschetta... like dakos, only not
salady and with roasted tomatoes. Or roasted aubergine dip, which it
nicer than it sounds. Um.. Hmm. In summer, I do grilled haloumi (if
you slice it very thin, it can almost go crispy and be its own cracker)
with something slightly tangy or fresh to cut the salt. I normally use
watermelon or crème fraîche with chives or something, but blood orange
sliced very thin may be quite nice. Or pomegranate seeds. I think it
might need something bright green to go with if one goes that way...
maybe some rocket or a bit of fresh sorrel.

That's what comes to mind, anyway! Sounds like a great party! Hope you
have lots of fun.

-Jen