Old 28-02-2010, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants

Default Culinary Oases

Kent wrote on Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:43:46 -0800:

"Dimitri" wrote in message

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in
message ...
So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the
country, but you suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC
restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or worse.

Example 1: The Inn at Little Washington, in Washington, West
Virginia.

Example 2: Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.

Example 3: Taste Restaurant, in Plymouth, California.

Example 4: El Bulli, in Roses, Catalonia.

I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them.
Can anybody add to the list?

Bob

San Francisco - Scoma's

Bentonville Arkansas - Fred's hickory Inn

Greek town Chicago - Roditis

Cayucos Ca - Sea Shanty

--
Dimitri

Searing

Most people living in the SF Bay Area don't go to Fisherman's Wharf.
It's overpriced; parking is impossible; the food is
so-so. Scomas is OK, but overpriced, and basically falls into that
category. You won't find the localss there.

It's not Fisherman's Wharf but there are some good restaurants close by
in the Ferry Building. I'll just mention "The Slanted Door".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland