Old 28-02-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants
aem aem is offline

Default Culinary Oases

On Feb 28, 1:57 am, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:
So you're driving along in some misbegotten part of the country, but you
suddenly stumble onto a FANTASTIC restaurant, surrounded by mediocrity or
worse.
[snip]
I call these "culinary oases," and I wish I knew about more of them. Can
anybody add to the list?

Basque restaurants in Fresno or Bakersfield, CA, or northern Nevada.
Some neighborhoods in big cities can also qualify as misbegotten. In
LA, La Serenata de Garibaldi is superb Mexican seafood next to
mariachi plaza, and El Rincon Chileno is wonderful Chilean food (and
adjacent deli/takeout) in cruddy east Hollywood. -aem