Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Mike[_2_] Mike[_2_] is offline

Default Pulled Pork into Carnitas???

"." > wrote in message
On Feb 11, 11:21 pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> I used to work in the interior of Mexico
> and I fell in love with the authentic flavors of Mexico.

Oh, no! You just typed the "A" word! ;-)

The "A" word has been a "no-no" in this NG for years.

> To this day, I cannot put lettuce on a taco; it has to be cabbage.

And I was very surprised when I was served pozole with shredded
cabbage floating on top in a central California taqueria.

Cabbage is just not part of Sonoran-style cooking, at least in my
limited experience.

> I think most people wouldn't even recognize REAL Mexican food as Mexican
> food.

I've been saying that for years. I searched "Mexican restaurants" in
California for decades before I learned that any place with a menu of
about 20 items painted on the wall behind the counter where you place
your order was really just a taqueria and that all taquerias had the
same 20 menu items, more or less.

> I once had a friend say that he didn't want to go to Taco Bell because he
> didn't want Mexican food. I told him not to worry; he wouldn't get Mexican
> food at Taco Bell.

Taco Bell and Del Taco were started by two gringos in San Bernardino
about 40 years ago. The two gringos remembered the taste of the Tex-
Mex food they ate as kids in the Southwestern USA and thought that was
the *authentic* taste of Mexico.

Oh, no! I just typed the "A" word myself.

Oh, well. I used to post all sorts of recipes from my internet
research looking for
less well-known Mexican recipes, but I gave up when I was accused of
posting copyrighted material and stealing other people's work.

I was accused of "class warfare" and "racism" when I described the
difference between Indigenous Mexican cooking, Mestizo cooking, and
Spanish-style cooking...

There was a core group in this NG that was perfectly happy with eating
tacos and drinking beer, and trying to eat the hottest chile or drink
chile sauce straight from a bottle.

That's all Mexican food was to them.

Yet you come across as a bigger prick than them. You lose