Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ron[_7_] Ron[_7_] is offline

Default Dietary Question

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:15:26 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
>type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
>follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
>do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
>something only to fail badly at it.
>-ginny

I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

I don't have any set meal plan other than what I said above. The
carbs I do eat are mostly whole grain. I've been known to eat a piece
of cake now and then with no adverse effects. I just can't have it
every day. We usually have raw vegetables at dinner... broccoli,
carrots, celery or whatever sounds good at the time. Reduce the number
of meals with red meat and increase those with chicken or fish. Once
you find what controls your blood sugar readings the meal planning
comes easier.

Don't forget the exercising... it's as important as the dieting.

Ron Kelley