Posted to rec.food.cooking
Manda Ruby Manda Ruby is offline

Default single household and considering Costco membership; no plan toinvite anyone for lunch or dinner

On Feb 22, 8:32*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
> > I know that there reecently was a thread on Costco but here is my
> > situation which would indicate that whether getting the membership is
> > worth or not based on monetary cost is not an issue: I don't have the
> > luxury to eat whatever I feel like such as stuff with lots of
> > calorieand little protien

> <snip>
> > So what I need to know is all the good stuff available at Costco when
> > it comes to meat (fish) and salad packages. If their vege pacakages re
> > not too big, I'd buy that too. I prefer to eat varieties and eat the
> > same thing all the time. Can you share your knowledge?

> > BTW, as far as not having energy, I don't want to spend all my
> > remaining time and energy after work oncleaning (which I do all the
> > time or I feel not well from dustmites and what not), grocey shopping
> > or other shopping and cooking. So, please..please..please no lecture
> > on how it takes only *this* many minutes to cook *that* dish, etc. I'd
> > really like only useful information (useflu as in "Useful for me per
> > my plan to shop and cook").

> If cost is not an issue, and you're trying to conserve time and personal
> energy, then you should NOT get a Costco membership. Shopping at Costco is
> energy-sapping and time-consuming.

> You'd be better off shopping at a
> good-quality grocery store.

I use Belaire and Raley's for beef and foster farm chicken, Safeway
for foster farm chciken and Contessa brand shrimp and allt here for
whover have better price for other things (bread, pita bread, vege,
fruits, Amy's entrees, Khashi's pizza) but only Raley's has low
calorie version of dried cranberries. Oh, I buy my imported brown
bamastic rice from an Indian store (Kohinoor is the brand and I LOVE
it; feel special that I could even find it so close to my place.). I
recntly got a bunch of canned Thai spice paste from an Asian store
(not close to me). l love Thai food but can't eat spicy all the time.
I found a store in that side of town (Asian store) where pita bread is
lesss than half the price of my 3 main stores. I am bought 3 pacakges
and am freezing two right now since I also have tortilla (one packages
of smaller one and two pacakages for bigger ones - one of which I
bought because I forgot that I alreday had it. I just stopped by and
grabbed things whenever I am passing by those stores. I only eat
Egglan's Best eggs. I don't have a super Wlamart nearby and so I don't
get good prices unless I got there which I do only when I am passing
by. I got to Foodsco when I need to get more bath tissues. They sure
have good prices for cilantro (at 25cents) and for snacks though they
are limited in choices. I rarely make a trip just to go grocery
shopping.) The downside of that is that I forget what I have at home
and buy the same thing and they go wasted. Oh, well.

I guess I continue doing what I have been doing.