Posted to rec.food.cooking
Manda Ruby Manda Ruby is offline

Default single household and considering Costco membership; no plan to inviteanyone for lunch or dinner

I know that there reecently was a thread on Costco but here is my
situation which would indicate that whether getting the membership is
worth or not based on monetary cost is not an issue: I don't have the
luxury to eat whatever I feel like such as stuff with lots of
calorieand little protien even if I eat enough protein form another
food source unless I want to have unlimited Calorie intake. I must
eat red meat to feel good. (If I just eat chicken, after a few days,
I feel terrible. It'd been like that always but more so now.) Since I
have to eat frequently, I'd have to use the leanest beef possible
unless I want my arteries clogged.

NOTE: I am no longer interested in steaks except once in a while
probably because beef here doesn't taste good like in Illinois.

So, I need to come up with easy to make (and non time-consuming - I
have no energy left too do elaborate cooking) beef dishes to do mass
production that I can use regularly, i.e. days in and days out per
week, making one meal a beef based meal for sure and the others either
chicken or fish or beef. So, I am thinking two types of dishes when it
come to beef: (1) Beef Soup and (2) Beef salad. I will make fajita
and tacos occasionally but not on regular basis because of the need of
ingredients that I might not always have and simply because I can
tolerate eatign soup and salad days in and days out than eatign
fajitas and tacos. Also miss one ingredient and tacos (say taco sauce)
and fajita (red bell pepper which I would not buy unless I get good
price and in small amount, ie. not from Costco) doesn't taste good.

(1) Beef Soup: I am thinking to just buy Beef broth and add beef
cubes (of sutter sirloin). As for seasoning, I need to find some
recipes and I'd prefer Asian ones. Not Pho. I don't have time to boil
that beef bones forever. Last week, I used an Indonesian package and
it tasted good but I do usually use these out of concerns for the
junks in there.

(2) Beef salad: I am thinking to roast and eat as a Salad. I'd just
have to get the right dressing for it. I love "Urban Eats" salad with
grilled tri-tip. I don't plan to grill (no energy left for all that;
also don't want to be in patio in this cold season) and so sutter
sirloin shall suffice due to its low content in fat. I want to use
"Spring Mix" for salad.

I have heard that meat in Costco are betterand also that their salad
packages are cheaper. So, I am thinking that I should get memebership
and go Costo ever two weeks to get the meat and salad package
primarily. I can also buy apples sold in bulk since it has become my
primary fruits since I have to control sugar content from fruit. I can
use catalope but its not easy to carry with me and eat while driving
or so. I am trying to eat more fruits than I have ever had in order
to counter act the acid produced from eating meat so much. If they
sell beef and big amount, that is okay. I usually buy a lot and
freeze them anyway so that I don't have to buy meat everytime I do
grocery shoping.

I can also train myself to buy non food items from Costco as much as
possible. Vitamins (and cosmetic stuff) if they carry what I use.

So what I need to know is all the good stuff available at Costco when
it comes to meat (fish) and salad packages. If their vege pacakages re
not too big, I'd buy that too. I prefer to eat varieties and eat the
same thing all the time. Can you share your knowledge?

BTW, as far as not having energy, I don't want to spend all my
remaining time and energy after work oncleaning (which I do all the
time or I feel not well from dustmites and what not), grocey shopping
or other shopping and cooking. So, please..please..please no lecture
on how it takes only *this* many minutes to cook *that* dish, etc. I'd
really like only useful information (useflu as in "Useful for me per
my plan to shop and cook").