Old 22-02-2010, 07:30 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Zeppo[_2_] Zeppo[_2_] is offline

Default AWS Tasting

Marci and I hosted this month's Tasting of the Philadelphia chapter of
American Wine Society in our home yesterday. The theme was 'wines of the
Finger Lakes'. A smaller than normal turnout either due to the fact we held
it on a different Sunday than our normal tastings (3rd instead of 4th) ,
People were home watching Ice Dancing or the members in general didn't find
the theme appealing. Hard to say. Those that did attend seemed to love the
wines presented.

We served 6 wines:
1. Dr. Konstantine Frank Dry Riesling (2007)
2. Dr. Frank Rkatsiteli (2007) [3]
3. Hermann J. Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling (2007) [1]
4. Red Newt Cellars Riesling (2008) [2]
5. Red Newt Red EFT (NV) (a red 'kitchen sink' blend) [2]
6. Lamoreaux Landing Cabernet Frank (2007) [1]

We decided to score the reds separately from the whites. I've indicated the
scoring in square brackets after the vintage.

I also served 4 Cheeses from the Finger lakes as well as grapes, grapes,
hummus, edamame dip and some quince paste.

I chose the wines based on availability (5 of the wines were available in
PA, NJ or DE), price, and taste. This was our first time hosting a tasting
for the club and I was apprehensive about the theme and the wines. It was
unfounded as everything was very well received and a spirited discussion
about the area's winemaking went well beyond the appointed end time, and all
wines and most of the food was consumed.

Jon