Donna Kossy

Default Hitachi bread machine - Help!

I'm an old hat at bread machine baking. I've had two different machines
that worked great (Panasonic & Breadman). My Breadman machine pan has been
wearing out, so when I saw a nearly unused Hitachi for $15 at a thrift
store, I grabbed it. It's an HB-D102.

I've made two loaves so far, just white bread, neither rose much at all.
For the first loaf, I tried the rapid setting on an old recipe that had
worked well in the Breadman. I used lukewarm water. The second loaf, I
stuck to the white bread recipe in the manual (which recommended using
COLD water), & used the regular (not rapid) setting, and that one didn't
rise either. In fact it was even worse than the first loaf.

So my first question is what temperature should the water be?

Also, I've used unbleached white flour with success in the Breadman. Does
the Hitachi require actual bread flour?

Anyone have similar problems with this model? Any advice would be much
appreciated.

Thanks much,
Donna

--