Posted to alt.food.wine
ronin ronin is offline

Default TN: Nice village Meursault , dull Chablis AC, nice Margaux AC

On 2010-02-20 13:45:27 -0800, DaleW > said:

> I opened the 1979 Ch. du Tertre

> (Margaux). This wine has been quite dependable for a long time- I had
> in the mid-90s and quite liked, and then restocked a few years ago
> when some friends described it as the surprise of a 79 horizontal. I
> got several at auction, was quite pleased, then restocked on Winebid.
> This was a WB bottle, good fill but cork looked pretty saturated - I
> used an Ah So. Maybe a bit more advanced than pristine bottles, but
> still a solid and classic claret. Smooth cassis fruit with mature
> aromas of cigarbox and forest floor. My initial criticism was maybe
> drying out a little on finish, but I no longer found that when I
> revisited a while later

> This bottle is certainly a drink up, but I've had others that had
> plenty of life left. B+

I am amazed at the longevety... When the '79s came out they were
billed as "the ones to drink while you are waiting for the '78s to
mature." I found that true - my '79 Ch. Cheval Blanc barely made it
into the mid '90s when I felt it was drink up time.