Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Pulled Pork into Carnitas???

"Jake Honeywill" > wrote in
message . ..

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com).

> Sounds great!
> HOw do you make pulled pork though? DOesn't it take like 24 hrs to cook
> or something - does it have to be done on the BBQ or is there an oven
> version?
> When we do Barbecues we don't have the time you guys in the states have.
> You know, the blokes sitting around drinking Buds and stoking the barbie
> while the girls chop up tomatoes and talk about girl stuff. We would
> arrive at say 1pm, unload all our kit, set up and start cooking at say
> 2.30, to serve at around 4.00 - Not much time to do real big ass cuts of
> proper USA style BBQ - I'm afraid in this country people think of BBQ as
> burger, sausages and chicken skewers - maybe a few prawns or butterflied
> leg of lamb. Bit sad really but you can do a fantastic spread with a
> lovely centre piece of say a whole fillet of beef and people will still
> say 'got any bangers (sausages)'.
> I watched that Jamie Oliver show where he went all around the states and
> the episode where he was down in Carolina (i think) was excellent.. It
> made me want to get my own mini-pit fabricated and to start doing big
> cuts,, more slowly. Anyway, has anyone got any ideas of how to do the
> pulled pork thing in an oven?
>

> --
> Jake Honeywill

Pulled pork is generally a Picnic (front leg) or a Boston butt shoulder cut
and is usually smoked. the smoking process (depending on the size) can take
12 to 16 hours at a low temperature. Usually the roast begins falling apart
at a temperature of 185 to 195 degrees internal temperature. Hence the
pulled nomenclature. Additionally in the South they will roast/smoke a
whole pig.

If you have a smoker GREAT if not you can accomplish similar results in a
crock pot. Place the roast in a 400 degree oven, fat side up for about an
hour. The drop the whole thing in a crock pot on high for 8 to 12 hours. be
very careful here do not add more then 1/2 cup of liquid (bbq sauce) as the
roast will offer a lot of moisture.

--
Dimitri

Searing