Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default wondering about reidel o wine glasses

On Feb 16, 10:10*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> >> Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

> > Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

> >> Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such
> >> problem.

> > I beg your pardon, I stand corrected.

> > M.

> Michael,
> * *I've always found the ie/ei transposition baffling, myself. *Students
> of English usually are drilled with the rubric: "i before e except after
> c" because ie is in fact more common than ei.
>
> Oh, well...
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

It is weird all right.

As to the assertion that it's only Americans, I just took a minute to
search the UK Drinks forum for Reidel and Reisling, lots of hits from
each (I checked to make sure not all from interloping Americans, the
first hit for Reidel was from Sussex and for Reisling Essex).