Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Ping: aem &/or piedmont - re paella recipe posted by piedmont

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:59:20 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

> On Feb 12, 3:10 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > I couldn't find any annatto seeds at the supermarkets but did find
> > *ground* annatto seeds in the hispanic market near me.

> I've never used ground annatto. Can it still be strained out with a
> strainer or will it all slip through?
>
> > Does that
> > substitute for the paprika?

> I think the paprika is there for taste, so no. But if it's for color,
> yes. How's that for help?

Annatto is yellow isn't it? Paprika is red.

> > Do I mix the ground annatto with oil to
> > color the oil? If so, how much and for how long? Does it have to be
> > strained out of the oil or will it dissolve?
> >

> I put about 2 TB of the seeds into about 1/4 cup barely simmering
> olive oil for a few minutes to steep. How well the ground stuff can
> be strained would be the question. I don't believe it dissolves, but
> don't know for sure. -aem

I guess if it's so coarse that you feel like you're eating grit, you
could always strain it through cheesecloth.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.