Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Ping: aem &/or piedmont - re paella recipe posted by piedmont

On Feb 12, 3:10 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> I couldn't find any annatto seeds at the supermarkets but did find
> *ground* annatto seeds in the hispanic market near me.

I've never used ground annatto. Can it still be strained out with a
strainer or will it all slip through?

> Does that
> substitute for the paprika?

I think the paprika is there for taste, so no. But if it's for color,
yes. How's that for help?

> Do I mix the ground annatto with oil to
> color the oil? If so, how much and for how long? Does it have to be
> strained out of the oil or will it dissolve?

I put about 2 TB of the seeds into about 1/4 cup barely simmering
olive oil for a few minutes to steep. How well the ground stuff can
be strained would be the question. I don't believe it dissolves, but
don't know for sure. -aem