Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
.[_7_] .[_7_] is offline

Default Pulled Pork into Carnitas???

On Feb 9, 3:35*pm, "Tim Conde" > wrote:
> Hi to all. We love pulled pork and we also love carnitas. If we have a bunch
> of pulled pork sitting around, is there a way to transform it into decent
> carnitas? Most carnitas recipes I know require marinating, etc, and the pork
> is wetter and maybe more tender as well. But since the meat is the same, can
> I just add something to make it work?

Carnitas is made with square chunks of pork. Half the chunks should be
crispy and crunchy and the other half should be moist and tender.

One time I was eating at a Mexican taqueria chain and the owner saw
that the cook had given me all crispy carnitas, so she brought me a
bowl of tender carnitas.

I heard her tell the cook that she was going to fire him if he
couldn't learn how to make carnitas correctly...

"Pulled" pork comes from a larger piece of well-done that has been
pulled into shreds with two forks.

This is called a "tinga", which means "hash" in Spanish, and it's
called barbecue in Texican...