Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default TN Vega Sicilia "Unico"1968

cwdjrxyz wrote in
:
The production I quoted came from the label and applies only to the
1968 Unico. I have one bottle left of the 1953 Unico, and it is bottle
26826 of 32000 bottles of Unico produced in 1953. There is no mention
of magnums on the label. Perhaps the production of Unico has increased
considerably in recent years.

I know, I know! Just wanted to mention that current released 1999 was
produced in a quantity of about 95.000 bottles, which is not that bad if
you consider the price it commands.

The situation may be somewhat like that for Mme. Leroy's top Burgundy
wines. She is rich enough to keep reserves of some very old wines that
can be had if you can pay her extremely high prices for them.

I do not know for sure, but I do not think prices are absurd for older
vintages of VS. Obviously more expensive that current releases. El Corte
Inglés is also one chain that does not speculate with wine (they do not
change the prices of Bordeaux reflecting changes in demand, for example).

Then
there are rich investors that buy rare wines, keep them many years,
and then hopefully sell them for much more than they paid, often
through an auction. Wines on this level often are status symbols for
the very rich, especially in Asia. If you were the CEO of an important
bank in parts of Asia, you might not want to serve business guests
anything other than what is considered the "best". Ch. Lafite has now
become the darling in parts of Asia, and this likely has partly caused
the price of Lafite to increase considerably on comparison with other
first growths. Even though Vega Sicilia Unico is expensive now, it
could easily become 2 or more times as expensive if it becomes a
status symbol in wide parts of Asia.

And most of us, wine lovers, hate that. Why cannot they direct their demand
to Ferrari or Faberge Eggs instead?

Now, I have three bottles of Domaine de la Janasse CdP Vielles Vignes 2007
that I purchased at retail price of €60 and now are worth around €150 by
status seekers. I guess that if Parker scores it 102 in a few years I might
sell them and purchase a new car. Even a Ferrari VBG

Best,

s.