Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN Vega Sicilia "Unico"1968

On Feb 8, 3:52*am, santiago wrote:
*With such small production, it is a wonder

any is exported. The owners likely want their wine to be known around
the world.

I do not think current figures are as small as the 45000 bottles you
mention (I will check).

The production I quoted came from the label and applies only to the
1968 Unico. I have one bottle left of the 1953 Unico, and it is bottle
26826 of 32000 bottles of Unico produced in 1953. There is no mention
of magnums on the label. Perhaps the production of Unico has increased
considerably in recent years.

It is widely available in Spain, for the
distribution chain El Corte Inglés has had an excellent relationship with
the winery for years. Their "Reserva Especial", a blend of 3 vintages, is
much more scarce, I think.

So, when a special request is made for a given vintage of Unico, they can
get it directly from the winery.

The current release I think is 99 and it is quite easy to purchase as many
as you want from one of their stores (and they have plenty), and even from
previous vintages.

I met Pablo Álvarez (CEO) once and have an outstanding opinion on him. I
also second your thought that Spanish wine does not get much better than
Vega Sicilia. But not only for the flagship wine. They make the best Ribera
you can buy for 40 euros (Alion) and the best wine from Toro (Pintia).

The situation may be somewhat like that for Mme. Leroy's top Burgundy
wines. She is rich enough to keep reserves of some very old wines that
can be had if you can pay her extremely high prices for them. Then
there are rich investors that buy rare wines, keep them many years,
and then hopefully sell them for much more than they paid, often
through an auction. Wines on this level often are status symbols for
the very rich, especially in Asia. If you were the CEO of an important
bank in parts of Asia, you might not want to serve business guests
anything other than what is considered the "best". Ch. Lafite has now
become the darling in parts of Asia, and this likely has partly caused
the price of Lafite to increase considerably on comparison with other
first growths. Even though Vega Sicilia Unico is expensive now, it
could easily become 2 or more times as expensive if it becomes a
status symbol in wide parts of Asia.

With current prices (a tad below 200 eur retail, about 140 if you are in
their mailing list), it is not easy for a winelover with a mortgage loan to *
drink Vega Sicilia but that's how the wine world is now. I am happy,
though, with a couple of bottles of 94 and another couple of 99.

s.