Posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default TN Vega Sicilia "Unico"1968

With such small production, it is a wonder
> any is exported. The owners likely want their wine to be known around
> the world.

I do not think current figures are as small as the 45000 bottles you
mention (I will check). It is widely available in Spain, for the
distribution chain El Corte Inglés has had an excellent relationship with
the winery for years. Their "Reserva Especial", a blend of 3 vintages, is
much more scarce, I think.

So, when a special request is made for a given vintage of Unico, they can
get it directly from the winery.

The current release I think is 99 and it is quite easy to purchase as many
as you want from one of their stores (and they have plenty), and even from
previous vintages.

I met Pablo Álvarez (CEO) once and have an outstanding opinion on him. I
also second your thought that Spanish wine does not get much better than
Vega Sicilia. But not only for the flagship wine. They make the best Ribera
you can buy for 40 euros (Alion) and the best wine from Toro (Pintia).

With current prices (a tad below 200 eur retail, about 140 if you are in
their mailing list), it is not easy for a winelover with a mortgage loan to
drink Vega Sicilia but that's how the wine world is now. I am happy,
though, with a couple of bottles of 94 and another couple of 99.

s.