Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Older white wines.

On Feb 7, 3:22*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> There is a rather intemperate argument going on rec.food.cooking about
> aging white wine for 12 or more years. I admit I drink mine long before
> such a date but what white wines, excluding some Sauternes, Tokays and
> Chateau d'Yquem, would be worth saving that long? Are *there any
> Australian or New Zealand wines that would be worth ageing?
>
> --
> Jim Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Australian Semillon has a rep for aging well for a couple decades, and
better dry Clare Rieslings certainly can age 12 years.

To the more general question of non-dessert wines worth saving that
long, the first few that come to mind:
Chardonnay: 1er Cru and Grand Cru Burgundy. The PremOx issue has
raised questions about vintages since 96, but I've had great wines
from 80s and early 90s in last couple years. California -12 is pushing
it for most, but certainly some Stony Hills and Montelenas I've had
have lasted longer than that.
Chenin- Sec and Demi-Sec Vouvray. Huet can do 20 years without trying.
Good Savennieres can do 12, easy.
Riesling: the ultimate contender. Trimbach's Clos Ste Hune (73 is
wonderful) and CFE. Better Austrians. Thousands of Germans, at
different pradikat level.
Then there's traditional white Rioja. Pepe Trebbiano, A few Sauvignon
Blancs like Vatan (more a question of taste, I'm not so sure you gain
much after a few years). Bordeaux blanc.

Most whites won't last 12 years gracefully, but neither will most
reds. Overall, probably more reds will do 12 well than whites, but the
whites that age well are very very numerous.