Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sea salt fine grind

pavane wrote:

> | > Why not use regular salt for your fried rice? I seriously doubt you
> | > will taste any difference between regular table salt and finely
> | > ground sea salt in your fried rcie.
> |

> | Yup...and only fools buy "sea salt" anyways...in fact the term "sea salt" is
> | ridiculous as *all* salt is "sea salt", it's one of those silly terms a la'
> | "shrimp scampi".
>
> Yeah. You'd better send an email out to Mayo Clinic correcting their
> website. It's www.mayoclinic.com and just give them your credentials
> and ask them to correct the article.:
> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
>
> "Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater..."
> "Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits..."

There was a little more to that article. It said that sea salt is less
refined and has trace elements. It also said that table salt has
additives to prevent clumping. It also often has iodine added. FWIW, in
Canada, all table salt is iodized.

If you have salt water tropical fish you cannot used iodized salt. The
iodine will kill them.

It should be noted that the salt deposits that are mined are from
ancient oceans that dried up. It will seem that, since all ocean water
has basically the same elements dissolved in them, that salt deposits
would have those same elements in them. Some people can taste the
iodine in table salt.