Posted to rec.food.cooking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Sea salt fine grind

wrote:
> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>
> Thank you in advance ...

If you want to make something finer there are many ways to do it--my Dad,
who learned to cook in the Pacific during WWII, used to wrap whatever it was
in a towel and pound on it with a hammer. A coffee grinder (the little
whirlygig kind) does fine as a spice grinder. A mortar and pestle will do
the job. Or a food processor or a blender (glass jar only--spices will do a
number on a plastic jar as I found out the hard way).

That said, why would you want to make fried rice with sea salt? Soy sauce
is a standard component and it is generally adequately salty.

Fried rice isn't rocket science you know--throw some leftover rice and more
or less pea-sized chunks of anything else that you like that's fryable in a
hot skillet with some oil and stir until it's all hot and anything that
needs to be cooked through is cooked, stir in an egg or two at the end if
you like, and you're done. Forget the fancy recipes and learn to do it by
the seat of your pants and you'll enjoy it more. Ordinary table salt works
fine if you need it, but soy sauce generally puts as much salt into it as I
want.