Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

Last night was my local wine group, I thought about cancelling due to
cold but was feeling a bit better, so decided to go. I almost forgot
to carry my wine, but made it to Alex's with wrapped bottle in hand.

Theme was Rhone. Fred had brought along a white starter (all wines
were blind). He said it was on theme and single variety. . Medium to
full bodied, floral aromatics but not musky/exotic like Viognier,
decent acidity, my first guess was Marsanne, secound Roussanne.
2008 Cuilleron Roussanne VdP. B

We sat at table, Alex had a nice spread with venison pate, sausages,
bundnerfleisch, cheeses, etc. Fred's red went first:

Wine #1
Dark berries, meat, a little olive. Really nice. Fresh, good acidity,
pretty clearly Northern Rhone. I guess St Joseph, am told correct,
guess Gonon, I nailed it. Sounds pretty impressive, doesn't it?
Actually more social engineering than impressive tasting. Once I
determined Northern rather than Southern, I guessed that with price
range we usually go in less likely to be Cote Rotie or Hermitage, St
Jo seems a good midlevel way to go. Once that's established, I know
Fred enjoyed the "les Iles Feray" I suspected he might have gone with
Gonon. If it hadn't been Fred's wine I think I would have been less
"accurate. " 2006 Gonon St. Joseph A-

Wine #2
Sweet, a tad jammy, sweet, I am immediately in South, and say either
CdP or Gigondas, probably former. Black cherries, red fruits, a little
smoke. Low acid but with ok fresh finish. It's the 2007 Roger Perrin
Chateauneuf du Pape. B

Wine #3
At first I thought Syrah, but then it seemed to get more red fruit
Grenache tones. Nice earth and herb notes. Slightly austere/tannic
finish. Nice midweight wine. 2006 Mordoree Lirac B/B+

(about here, I hit the floor. Literally. As I leaned to hand a bottle
to Roger, my chair collapsed. Marc said "you know, I think that's the
5th time I've seen that here." Alex says "yes, we really shouldn't
have people sit in that old chair." When I tell Betsy this AM, she
relates it happened to her at a dinner last year- I had forgotten.
Alex is a great host, but in a house with many chairs the delicate
ones shouldn't be at table!).

Wine #4
I liked this, but (incorrectly) went Southern Rhone (specifically
Gigondas). Low acid, red fruit, sweet edge, lots of damp earth, nice
finish. Somehow I forgot to write down producer of this 2006 Crozes
Hermitage, will ask Alex to check recycling. B/B+

Wine #5
Ripe, slightly jammy,leather. OK, I still think we're in South, but
seems a bit less exuberant than CdP. Alex says it's a small
appellation, I guess *Vacqueyras, but it's the 2006 La Bouissiere
Gigondas. B

Wine #6
No guessing as it's mine. Still a little cool. Nice midweight Syrah,
black fruit, bacon, leather. Fresh acidity, some ripe tannins. I think
everyone is in North. 2001 Duclaux Cote Rotie. B+

Wine #7
Somewhat grapey, good acidity and a little hint of spritz, fresh fruit
flavors, maybe a tad short. 2007 La Grand Poiloe Cotes du Rhone . B

Wine #8
2006 Mordoree Lirac
Herbs, cherries and pomegranite, some tannins. Turns out we have a
second bottle of the Mordoree Lirac. B

Nice night with the guys, despite my cold.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**