Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley[_7_] Timothy Hartley[_7_] is offline

Default TN: Several sips of a Sauvignon de St Bris

In message
ups.com>
DaleW > wrote:

> I've been fighting a cold/flu for a few days, so didn't actually look
> for wine with dinner,. But Betsy needed a bit of white for last 2
> dinners (bolognese Wed, pork chops and French onion soup) so I had a
> half glass each night. The white was the 2004 de Moor St Bris (it just
> says St Bris, not Sauvignon St Bris- huh!). To me this didn't show
> as very Sauvignon Blanc-ish, it could easily pass for a steely/flinty
> Chardonnay. Sweet fruit though it's a dry wine, citrus and apple, with
> a mineral finish. Nice midweight wine, holds well over night. B/B+
> (note taster probably even less consistent than normal, stopped up
> nose)

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.*

I think that since it became elevated to AoC (or more correctly now
AoP status) it can no longer be idnetified by anythign but its
geographic name. AS you know the French rules do not allow grape
varieties to be identified as part of the name of an AoP wine.
which one did you have? They vary very much in style from a good value
substitute for a lesser Sancerre to beign quite new world. My own
favourite is Phillipe Defrance‘s version but the Goissot ones, much
more obvious in style to my mind, are very well written up and are
certainly interesting.

Tim Hartley