Posted to alt.food.barbecue
George Neuner George Neuner is offline

Default Propane adapters

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:53:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:55:25 -0500, George Neuner
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I just had to replace an old propane grill and discovered that all the
>>new grills come with Type 1 connections.
>>
>>My problem is that I have a number of propane tanks which have
>>built-in quick disconnect (i.e. they were not adapted, but came stock
>>with QD hardware). The tanks all have at least a few years of life
>>left in them and I would prefer not to replace them just now if I
>>don't have to.
>>
>>Does anyone know of an adapter to connect a Type 1 grill to a QD tank?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>George

>Maybe you can find something he www.bigway.com
>
>About Propane Cylinder Connectors...
>
>The Federal government prohibited the sale and use of POL valves found
>on older DoT type propane cylinders. (POL is an abbreviation for
>Prest-O-Lite, for the company that first produced the valve). These
>valves have the familiar female left-hand-thread in the valve and are
>the type most of us currently have. Cylinders with this type valve
>were discontinued beginning in the year 2000, and may no longer be
>refilled. The old POL valves were replaced by a new Acme type which
>uses a QCC (Quick Closing Coupling) connector. This connector has an
>external (male) right-hand thread on the valve. A pigtail hose can be
>connected and disconnected by hand... no wrench required. These valves
>also have the old-style POL internal left-hand thread, so they can be
>used directly in place of the old valves without modifying your RV. If
>you like the no-tools convenience of new style connector you may want
>to replace your pigtail hoses with new ones having the QCC connectors.
>The new ACME or QCC valve also contains an OPD (Overfill Protection
>Device). So you may find them called ACME valves, OPD valves or QCC
>valves, depending on the supplier. The OPD feature prevents accidental
>overfill of the cylinder. An internal float mechanism shuts off the
>valve when the propane tank is 80% filled. The 20% empty space is
>necessary to prevent the cylinder from venting large amounts of
>propane when the temperature rises. (ASME type cylinders in most
>motorhomes have had this OPD feature for many years). The new OPD
>valve also contains another safety feature - it will not release gas
>unless the pigtail hose is properly connected, even with the valve

Thanks for the reply. I checked Bigway, but AFAICS they have nothing
suitable.

My tanks are _not_ POL with quick-disconnect adapters ... if they were
I could get QCC1->POL adapters and be done. My tanks have a
_one_piece_ female quick-disconnect valve with OPD - there are no
threaded openings at all. There is no manufacturer name visible on
the valve.

I've been told I can swap empty tanks for new Type-1 tanks, but I have
2 full tanks and another that is ~90% (about $80 worth of gas total).
The local propane vendors won't take tanks back unless they're empty
.... or unless I let them vent the tanks and eat the cost of the gas.
They all claim the state does not allow them to pump gas out of
portable tanks into their own storage and that is the only way they
could transfer the gas to new tanks (this may be bullshit but I've
heard the same story from 3 different vendors).

So I'm still looking for some kind of adapter that will let me connect
my new Type-1(QCC1) grill to a pigtail for quick-disconnect tanks. It
seems like there is an adapter or hose for every situation except
mine.

George