Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default I have melted a plastic food container in mt Electric Oven (help please)

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Mick. wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
>> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at
>> the
>> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven
>> thinking
>> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the
>> oven.
>> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is
>> hot
>> but it does not shift it very well.
>> Has anyone any advice please?
>> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
>> Mick.

> Uhm, I don't think using a spray-on oven-cleaner is a good idea? Those
> tend to be very caustic, I think, and the potential (?) reaction between
> the caustic oven cleaner and the plastic might be very unwelcomed (not
> that I know)??? Perhaps it's akin to mixing bleach with ammonia? As
> has been suggested, contact the manufacturer of the oven and ask, and/or
> check their website and its related FAQs? As a suggestion for the
> future, instead of storing plastic containers in the oven(s), store
> things like cast iron pans and other non-flammable items that won't melt
> without truly intense heat.
>
> Sky, who's learned the hard way too often, too

Where did the OP say they were "storing" plastic containers in the oven? I
read the post three times, I didn't get the notion they were "storing"
anything. I gathered it was used like a drip pan or something similar.

I agree with you and Barb, check with the oven manufacturer before
attempting to clean up the melted mess.

Jill