Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default I have melted a plastic food container in mt Electric Oven (help please)

Mick. wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at the
> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven thinking
> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the oven.
> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is hot
> but it does not shift it very well.
> Has anyone any advice please?
> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
> Mick.

Uhm, I don't think using a spray-on oven-cleaner is a good idea? Those
tend to be very caustic, I think, and the potential (?) reaction between
the caustic oven cleaner and the plastic might be very unwelcomed (not
that I know)??? Perhaps it's akin to mixing bleach with ammonia? As
has been suggested, contact the manufacturer of the oven and ask, and/or
check their website and its related FAQs? As a suggestion for the
future, instead of storing plastic containers in the oven(s), store
things like cast iron pans and other non-flammable items that won't melt
without truly intense heat.

Sky, who's learned the hard way too often, too

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!