Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 1997 Luigi Einaudi Barolo

On Jan 28, 10:36�am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 6:53�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > this is the normale? I drank my last bottle I think last year, thought
> > > it reasonably mature with mostly resolved tannins. Bottle variation,
> > > or maybe storage (I have good passive storage, but maybe tad warmer in
> > > summer than ideal).

> > I bought it directly from the distributor on release. �My cellar is a
> > constant 55F (measured with a bottle probe not the air temp) �with 70%
> > humidity. �I find that many of my wines are drinking "younger" than
> > many of their counterparts from different cellars. �Before building
> > the cellar 15 years or so ago, I found that my basement was actually
> > cooler in the summer than in the winter since I air-conditioned the
> > house in the summer the cool air would sink to the lower level and
> > keep the cellar quite cool yet in the winter the heat from the furnace
> > would actually increase the temp in the basement storage area to
> > higher than the 62F that it was in the summer.

> my range is basically 50-65 F, with very slow changes. Small
> reasonably efficient furnace is not next to cellar, but even right
> next to furnace it doesn't warm much. I probably bought this at retail
> a year or two after release, so that might be another possibility. In
> general my wines seem to age fairly gracefully, and this was fine,
> just sounded a touch more mature than yours. In general I don't think
> 97s are real long term wines, though they've generally been tasty.- Hide quoted text -

I don't thik the '97's are long term agers either but 20 years for
Barolo isn't extraordinary. I find it hard to judge by the color
given tat to me Barolo is already a bit brickish. The tannins in the
"97 Einaudi were still firm although my recollection is that Einaudi
is generally perceived as an "old style" producer.