Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN: SOBER does 60s Bojo, 70s CA & Rhones, +Loire, Burg, etc

On Jan 27, 10:36*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 1/27/10 9:03 AM, DaleW wrote:

> > Wine #1 - Good, ripe, strong fruit with solid acids, herbs, cocoa.
> > Lovely long wine, Mark and John I think both quickly said old CA,
> > really nice wine. 1976 Phelps Insignia. A-

> > Wine #2- sweet, ripe, nice wine without the density or complexity of
> > its flightmate, but still a nice wine. 1977 Phelps Eisele Cabernet
> > Sauvignon. B/B+

> I'm not surprised that you liked these so much. *I have great memories
> of some of those mid-'70s Phelps Cabs, and I'm still cellaring a few
> Insignias from '94 and '98 in hopes that they may eventually develop
> along similar lines.

For the most part, the Insignia from Joseph Phelps in the 70s was very
good and still is if properly stored. I still have a very few bottles
of 74 and 78 Insignia and 74 and 76 regular. I do not recall having a
bottle that was off, but I do not want to search very old tasting
notes just now.