Boron Elgar

Default A day on the farm

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:57:17 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> We got to watch (and taste along the way) the cheese making, from the
>> fresh milk going into the vat (yes, we met the cows) to the curds
>> being put into molds, were given a wonderful demonstration & talk
>> about the entire process and were mightily entertained by the
>> wonderful stories told by the owner, Jonathan White.

>Jonathan was a partner of Charlie Trotter in another cheesemaking
>operation a few years back. Amazing products, like the best of the
>cheeses I've had around the world. Many wild-ripened cheeses and
>several US-legal raw-milk cheeses.
>
>He was involved in a very cool program a couple years back where he
>went to Tibet and taught nomadic yak herders how to make cheese from
>the milk. The resulting cheese was a very pale green and had an, er,
>"interesting" taste. Everybody I gave some to said how much it was,
>um, interesting. They all said they, uh, might eat more at some future
>date because it was, uhm, interesting.
>
>Jonathan brought some of his cheeses to an exposition in Europe and
>got astonished praise from the attendees.

With great modesty, he told us of these delightful happenings (didn't
mention Charlie Trotter, though) and I was suitably impressed that
someone with such talent & expertise was within a 40 minute drive of
my house.

They seem to all be raw milk cheeses now and each has a wonderful
flavor. There were a few of his specialties that were not available
yesterday & I will take a few trips up there in over the next months
in hopes of trying more.

Oh...and he was kind enough to give me a vial of his starter. I was
jazzed and guard it well. We had some nice chats about different
flours, too.

I must say, that I went up there primarily for the bread aspects of it
all, but was quite taken with the cheese part and only wish that
making decent cheese at home were as easy as making decent bread.

Boron