Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default US to lift 21-year ban on haggis...

On 2010-01-26, brooklyn1 > wrote:

> passing USDA inspection... many such products do, that's why there is
> no Italian mortadela in the US. Lamb and mutton is pricy for the same
> reason other foods that most folks won't buy... some folks love it but
> neither is all that popular in the US... actually goat is more popular
> in the US.

I remember when lamb/mutton was cheap. Buck and a quarter a pound. Now,
can't touch it fer less the $5lb, even for fatty leg. As for goat,
not as plentiful as you think. Mexicans love goat, but even in CA, at
my local carniceria, goat was unheard of.

> to those willing to pay the price over synthetics...

The same can be said of ermine!

All the old North Eastern catalog companies like LL Bean and Eddie
Bauer used to offer dozens of various wool weave pants and shirts.
Try and find a single one, now. Pendleton is selling fer $120 per
shirt for see through weight garmets. It's a disgrace.

> knitters do. A lot of my neighbors raise sheep, llama, vicuna, and
> goats for yarn but not many who claim to be knitters are going to pay
> $20 a 200 gram skein when they can buy synthetic at $3.99 a pound.

My point exactly. Llama farmers consider their livestock to be some
sort of chic collectible investment instead of a damn yarn resource.
$10K per head fer a freaking spitin' cousin to the camel,
ferchrysakes. Not even marketable as a food source. Morons.

nb