Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default US to lift 21-year ban on haggis...

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:10:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-01-26, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
>> This makes no sense to me. Why not use sheep?

>Sheep/lamb/mutton whatever has seemingly disappeared from the US
>scene. Even wool products are hard to find. Mutton is priced like an
>endangered species. I'm not sure of the reasons, but all things ovis
>are either prohibitively expensive or jes no longer exists. So sad.
>
>nb

Commercially made haggis, especially imported, would have problems
passing USDA inspection... many such products do, that's why there is
no Italian mortadela in the US. Lamb and mutton is pricy for the same
reason other foods that most folks won't buy... some folks love it but
neither is all that popular in the US... actually goat is more popular
in the US. But there is absolutely no shortage of wool in the US, not
to those willing to pay the price over synthetics... I know a lot of
people who knit with very high quality natural fibers but the vast
majority in the US knit with cheapo acrylic Walmart yarn... not really
worth the time, effort, and lousy results but that's what most US
knitters do. A lot of my neighbors raise sheep, llama, vicuna, and
goats for yarn but not many who claim to be knitters are going to pay
$20 a 200 gram skein when they can buy synthetic at $3.99 a pound.