Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: ESJ Old Black Magic and some Pinot Gouges

I had an all day meeting Sunday, touched base with Betsy as she drove
back from Boston, I said I'd have dinner waiting. I made chicken
francaise and a chard (stem) gratinee, plus we had some leftover beans
and broccoli. Wine was the 2006 Gouges Pinot Blanc Bourgogne. 2006
seems early for PremOx (PrePremoX?) but I did think this showed
advanced. Deep brassy gold color, slightly heavy flavors, apple and
honey. Actually livens up with air, but is this just 2006 overripeness
or a slightly compromised cork? B-/C+

Dave is back after a couple weeks in Europe, and giving up Brooklyn
apartment and moving in (we're gonna charge rent!). He loves virtually
any Asian food, so Betsy used her Kylie Kwong cookbook to make deep
fried tofu, Mongolian beef, and snow peas in a 5 spice broth. He
prefers reds, so I went with the 2006 Edmunds St John "Old Black
Magic. " Went well with the beef, but let me tell you if anyone
suggests red wine with fried tofu and cilantro with Meyer lemon, slap
them. But the wine itself was quite nice, with deep earthy and herbal
tones over solid red fruit. Ripe but not low-acid, medium to full
bodied, soft tannins, nice clean finish. Co-fermented Grenache and
Syrah. A buy again. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**