PENMART01

Default Cuban cooking: "boliche"

J Krugman writes:

>I want to make a braised beef recipe that I got from a Cuban friend.
>This recipe calls for a cut that Cubans call "boliche", but that
>probably has no perfect equivalent in the US, since the animal is
>cut differently in the two countries. Does anybody know what part
>of the animal "boliche" comes from? And what's the American cut
>that's closest to boliche?

My Spanish dictionary says boliche means "jack" (small balls) [for bowling]
skittles

There are many meat cuts that can be used, chuck, round...

You need to learn how to search: <boliche recipe>... many hits.

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._11908,00.html

Boliche
Recipe courtesy El Camaguey, Los Angeles

5 to 6 pounds Eye Round beef
6 garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons bitter orange juice
1 cup dry white cooking wine
3 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound ham in small cubes
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, cut in medium size pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, cut in medium size pieces
2 small Cuban-style chorizos, sliced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces tomato sauce
Topping:
1 sliced seared onion
2 fried ripe plantains
Steak fries

Clean the meat by trimming excess fat. With a knife make an opening through the
center of the meat. Place the meat in a large pot. To prepare marinade, mix
garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, bitter orange juice, cooking wine, salt and
pepper. Add 3 tablespoons of the marinade to the opening inside the meat. In
another container mix the stuffing: ham, carrot, bell peppers and chorizo then
place the stuffing inside the meat. Add the rest of the marinade to the outside
of the meat. For best results let the meat sit overnight or at least 3 hours,
refrigerated.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large frying pan heat cooking oil and
remove meat from marinade. Place meat in a hot frying pan, and sear the meat;
browning it gives the meat flavor. Add the remaining marinade, cover and place
in oven for approximately 3 hours. Let the meat cool before cutting it in
slices. Combine the tomato sauce with the marinade that remained in the pan and
put this mixture in a saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour over the sliced
meat, and add the toppings and serve.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon