Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Best By Date?.....

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bigbazza" > wrote:
>
>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
>> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
> had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
> know hold old pretty much everything is. Both ketchup and mustard in
> the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
> either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
> mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
> year, easily.
>
> I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
> Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
> couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

You still got that habanero sauce I sent you eons ago? You said at the
time that you just left the bottle open and it heated the whole house
that winter. Knowing that you have had a pretty cold winter this go
around I figured the habanero sauce might be in use again.

Hang on to those bottles though, I've gone out of the hot sauce business
since neither of us can eat it anymore. Someday they may be worth
something to someone. Naw! it's just food.