Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Weinviertel and Burgundy

I went to work Tuesday AM thinking we were having friends over for
simple Italian dinner, but got home to discover Betsy had been to the
Chinese supermarket, and dinner plans we
salt and pepper squid
sprout salad
Chinese broccoli
chicken poached in a soy sauce broth
plus some Chinese pickles she had made last week (all recipes were
from Kylie Kwong book).

To go with the squid, the 2009 Hofer Gruner Veltliner (in liter
bottle). Nice, fresh, floral, light. There's not a lot there, but it's
clean and a good match for the hot squid, and $10./liter! B/B-, but a
solid value.

The red was the 2006 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune. Ripe red fruit, a hint
of espresso, some earth. Nice balance of fruit, tannins, and acid.
Straightforward Burgundy that is unlikely to wow anyone, but tasty and
typical. B/B+

Nice night with good friends, plus their standard poodle. Dogs and
people all happy

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**