Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default I have met the enemy and it is...

On Jan 14, 9:24*am, "Anders T rneskog" >
wrote:
> "Bi!!" > skrev i ...
>
> > .... *The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. *It had
> > the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
> > drinking lye even though lye is akaline. *Zero fruit, zero body just
> > pure acidic zing...to the max. *"F"

> I would agree that Laboure-Roi sells fairly standard or pedestrian wine with
> a few good exceptions.
> But it is also true that Pouilly-Fuisse wines often have relatively high
> acidity contributing to their sought-after freshness... *It would seem that
> Americans often look for low-acid wines - perhaps more used to
> malolactically fermented wines so common in the past over there? *Any
> comments to that?
>
> There are actually people who demand high acidity in their white wines - me,
> for instance :-), *happily drinking zingy Mosel wines.

Americans are not always adverse to high acidity. For instance there
is candy that many children love that is loaded with very high
acidity, but the fruit and sugar tend to balance this somewhat. I once
knew an engineer who would eat a lemon without anything added, but
this is very much the exception, and even a lemon has considerable
fruity taste to mask the extremely high acidity just a bit. I like
good Mosel too, but I find few of grades below auslese ( and there can
be a trocken auslese) that have enough taste intensity to balance the
sometimes high acidity. The fine trocken exceptions can be very fine
indeed, but tend to be produced only from the best estates in the best
years. Many Americans will squeeze a bit of lemon juice on their
shrimp, and a bit of high acid dry wine can serve the same purpose if
you sip a bit as you eat the shrimp. Clos Ste.Hune is bone dry and
does not undergo malolactic secondary fermentation. As a result it is
very sharp and austere when young. However with at least 10 years of
age, it develops great intensity of bouquet and taste which balances
the wine and makes it one of the top Rieslings of the world. There can
be Pouilly-Fuisse with enough taste and bouquet to balance the often
high acidity, but this seems to be very much the exception, at least
for most that gets exported to the US. To make matters worse, this
wine seldom improves with age.