Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 1996 Napa Cab

Last night Betsy decided on porterhouse, baked potatoes, brussels
sprouts, and a arugula salad with mustard/caper dressing. I bundled up
for some grilling, and opened the 1996 Barnett Spring Mountain
District Cabernet Sauvignon. Still some tannins, good cassis and black
plum fruit, a hint of vanilla and cedar, a slightly ferric mineral
note. I'm quite happy with this with the steak, but by end of meal
it's really falling apart. Seems disjointed and develops a dirty
ashtray streak. Personally I'd drink these up (and share with a group
- first glass was definitely the best). B+/B at first, after 2.5
hours C/C-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**