Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking
SIR MIKE HOPKINS SIR MIKE HOPKINS is offline

Default Sandra's Money Saving Meals: Retro Easy Kitchen Classics

In article >,
wrote:

Has the Food Network finally gotten so embarrassed by Sandy's lame
attempts at cooking that they're not putting recipes up anymore? Or has
their website gotten so disorganized I just can't find them?

Those were pretty anemic looking crepes Sandy made - and strangely
different from what went into the finished dish. Why didn't she show us
how to make the batter? That's the key to good crepes, after all - and,
as Alton points out, giving the mixture time to hydrolyze, which is too
big a word for our Sandy.

Carbs wrapped in carbs, meat dish following meat dish - at least we got
a salad this week. Maybe it's just me 'cause I spent yesterday canning
stocks and I'm fixated on this, but why was she using a canning jar (the
separate ring and lid are a dead giveaway) to shake her salad dressing?
Why not a regular sauce jar, washed and reused, like normal people do?
Did she have any idea why the production assistant handed her a
container with a cover that came apart? Does she have a clue what it's
used for? It'll work, in a pinch, but it just struck me as weird.

All I remember about Tom Collins is that there used to be special mixes
for it, which I liked as a kid: turns out it's just fizzy lemonade. No
mint.

That was not a sauce on those Salisbury steaks: that was a soup. Must be
a mess to serve and eat. BTW, I seem to patronize the only groshery
store in the hemisphere where sliced mushrooms cost more than whole
ones, per Sandy.

>4. "It's cheaper to make your own baking mix than to buy it premade."
>Dear Sandra, there are people who use flour, baking soda, salt, and
>shortening without thinking of it as Bisquick. I know you grew up on
>Bisquick. I love Bisquick. I use it to make pancakes, dumplings,
>biscuits, coffee cake, all kinds of things. But you can just use the
>ingredients individually, because you may someday need plain flour
>without all the other stuff, y'know?
>And, while I'm at it – hey, why don't you show us on TV how to cut
>shortening into flour? I'd like to see that. Go ahead, let's see you do
>it. For those of us who need things "dumbed down."
>
>5. "Use cake mix because it's cheaper than from scratch."
>You think we're gonna buy that one? And why don't you show us, the poor
>dumbed-down viewer, how that's done exactly?

I've given up trying to figure out from show to show when from scratch
is cheaper than a mix and vice versa. It's either due to a complex
analysis of the particular arrangement of the planets on the day of
filming, or totally random. Or some other sort of Sandy logic not
comprehensible to us mere mortals.

Beef-in-Pinatas will never not be funny. Maybe beating it with a stick
will improve the texture - anything to avoid having to eat the
leftovers!