Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Two Butts!

On 29-Dec-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:19:37 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
> > Brick wrote:
> >
> >> My offset smoker has a somewhat similar characteristic. The firebox
> >> end is quite a bit hotter then the smokestack end. I swap the meat
> >> end for end about midway in the cook to even it out. You ought to
> >> be able to do the same with your bullet. It only involves opening the
> >> cooker one time and if you plan ahead you can do it very quickly.
> >> Just my 2¢.

> > The next time I do two of them, I'll try swapping. I know that I will
> > *not* be able to do it quickly.

> That's the biggest drawback of the ECBG - swapping racks. The
> easiest way is just to get some silicone or otherwise heatproof
> gloves and a large tray.
>
> -sw

What Steve said. I was using a pair of heavy vinyl?? gloves until
they converted to solid plastic. I recently found a new pair of PVC
gloves to take their place. The old and the new have gaunlets that
extend a third of the way up the arm. The trick is to make a place
to stage the butts for a few seconds while you exchange them. Grab
the top butt and move it quickly to the staging place. Let it go. Wait
about five seconds for the gloves to cool a bit. Grab the second butt
and move it to the staging place. Again give the gloves a few seconds
to cool. Move the first butt to the bottom rack, replace the top rack
and finally move the last butt to the top rack and replace the lid.
Shouldn't take more then about twenty seconds. I'd hate to try it
without the gloves. I would tear the meat up too much without them.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)