Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default Christmas Turkey?

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> RegForte said:
>

>>As for me, I'm going to try the precook thing I learned from Jim
>>Minion. I do it all the time for stuff like brisket but I've never
>>done it for a whole turkey.
>>
>>Today I'll smoke it at about 250 F until it not quite done. Maybe
>>165 F in the thigh, or thereabouts. Cool it and fridge it.
>>
>>Tomorrow it goes back into a 400 F oven until complete, about
>>175-180 F in the thigh.

> Can you elaborate on the precook thing? I've had some success precooking
> brisket and ribs to nearly done, and then reheating, usually in a loose foil
> wrap. What's your technique?
>
> MartyB

My terminology usage could be better. Actually it would
correctly be called "parcooking", meaning partial cooking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par-cook

Cook the meat mostly but not completely, like for a brisket
around 160 F, then fridge it. On game day cook it all the way
through.

In this case, I cooked the turkey until about 160 F in the breast.
Fridged it until it all cooled. Then, and here's where things
get a little different, I cut out all the breast meat in two neat
pieces, and wrapped them in foil with some thyme, sage, and a pat
of butter.

On game day I cooked the remaining carcass, which was all dark meat,
to 180 F. The breast meat got reheated but not cooked and further.

This was the first time I've ever tried doing this with a
turkey and it came out perfect. I will definitely do it again,
especially when I'm feeling lazy.

--
Reg