Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Two Butts!

On 27-Dec-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I had a package with two butts from Sam's Club in the freezer and I
> needed the space so I defrosted them and put both on my smoker today. I
> have a Brinkman Delux bullet smoker.
>
> The bottom butt got very crusty. I had to remove it as it didn't pull
> well. The meat pulled easily and it's packed away.
>
> Butt number 2, which was on top is still wrapped in foil and towels in
> the "free" 'Omaha Steak' cooler. I'll probably pull that one in a
> little while.
>
> The smoker ran around 250° and the meat smoked about 10 hours. Butt
> number one spent another 3 in the "cooler" and Number one will have
> spent about 4 hours extra.
>
> BTW the first butt was still very hot when I took it from the cooler.
>
> Is there a way to prevent the bottom butt from getting so crusty?
>
> Happy new year.
>
> Janet

My offset smoker has a somewhat similar characteristic. The firebox
end is quite a bit hotter then the smokestack end. I swap the meat
end for end about midway in the cook to even it out. You ought to
be able to do the same with your bullet. It only involves opening the
cooker one time and if you plan ahead you can do it very quickly.
Just my 2¢.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)