Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,sci.econ,alt.philosophy
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default "veganism" isn't what it purports to be

On Dec 29, 11:01*am, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote
>
> Never in my life have I believed that the typical vegan lifestyle does
> not involving buying any products whose production contributes to the
> suffering and premature death of sentient nonhumans. I was well aware
> that that was not the case in adolescence, before I seriously
> contemplated giving up meat, and frequently discussed the point with
> my friends. I would certainly be aware of the truth of that matter one
> way or the other. I believe you once remarked that I had no reason to
> disbelieve Dutch about some testimony that he gave, well, you have no
> rational grounds whatsoever for disbelieving this testimony.
> ---------->
>
> Again, the elephant in the room, the REAL issue, the issue of viewing
> animals as commodities. I think the concern is misguided politicking.
>
> Veganism clearly addresses that issue, but vegans frequently confuse,
> conflate and equivocate that issue with issues of legitimate concern, like
> health, the environment and animal suffering. Don't assume that by avoiding
> that sauce or substituting that tofu steak for that salmon steak you
> contributed to lessening animal suffering in any meaningful way, even though
> you fulfilled your goal to remain pure, to avoid being an "exploiter" using
> animals *as end products*.

I'm not sure what your point is here, I thought we were agreed that a
widespread transition to veganism would lead to a significant
reduction in animal suffering. By being vegan and publicly defending
this stance I am doing my bit to reduce my share of responsibility for
the problem.