Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,sci.econ,alt.philosophy
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default "veganism" isn't what it purports to be

"ex-PFC Wintergreen" > wrote in message
m...
> Dutch wrote:
>> "Rupert" > wrote
>> He does make some remarks about how to make the further
>> generalisation, which you should address. Anyway, let's start with the
>> case against factory-farming and worry about the rest later. Is there
>> anything wrong with *that* case, the case for boycotting the products
>> of factory farming? I said from day one that this was the main case
>> that I wanted to make.
>> --------->
>>
>> So much these days comes from large scale mechanized production. Provided
>> that the welfare of animals is taken into account I see nothing wrong in
>> that, and I realize that is not the case now. Preferring to buy locally
>> produced small farm goods is certainly worthwhile.

> I am convinced that the "buy local" trend is mostly about feel-goodism,
> just as "organic" is. Any talk of measurable benefit is entirely
> superfluous - what the real issue is, is feeling good about oneself.

There is no doubt that locally produced food contains a lower transportation
(petroleum) component, which supports the argument that a calorie from
locally caught salmon is more sustainable, causing less impact on the planet
and thus animals, than a calorie of bananas flown in from Chile.