Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,sci.econ,alt.philosophy
ex-PFC Wintergreen[_2_] ex-PFC Wintergreen[_2_] is offline

Default "veganism" isn't what it purports to be

Dutch wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote
> He does make some remarks about how to make the further
> generalisation, which you should address. Anyway, let's start with the
> case against factory-farming and worry about the rest later. Is there
> anything wrong with *that* case, the case for boycotting the products
> of factory farming? I said from day one that this was the main case
> that I wanted to make.
>
> So much these days comes from large scale mechanized production.
> Provided that the welfare of animals is taken into account I see nothing
> wrong in that, and I realize that is not the case now. Preferring to buy
> locally produced small farm goods is certainly worthwhile.

I am convinced that the "buy local" trend is mostly about feel-goodism,
just as "organic" is. Any talk of measurable benefit is entirely
superfluous - what the real issue is, is feeling good about oneself.

It is worth