Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Eddie Eddie is offline

Default <delurk>Turkey Breast?

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:54:30 -0600, "ChairMan" > wrote:

>Goin to do a couple turkey breasts Xmas day.
>Trying to figure about how long to allow for 'em<I know until they're done>
>Goin to rub 'em down with mesquite olive oil,a little season salt, smoked
>over pecan.
>Anyone done just breasts before?
> I've followed the whole turkey thread, cook at 375, etc.
>I've done whole ones for about 6-8hrs before, even 10 for bigger ones.
>These are both about 7 lbs, so I'm figuring about 3-4 hrs.
>it's suppose to be about 30- 40 degrees here in Big D Xmas day which will I
>expect will have some effect on cook time but II figure not much
>Suggestions - tips?
>
>TIA and A Very Smokey Xmas to All

Sorry for the late reply.
I did a breast yesterday in the oven and it came out perfect. 1.5 hrs
@ 350* Pic on ABF. I think 3-4 hrs for a 7 lb. might be too long.
I've never done breast in the K. Yesterday my K7 was busy doing a 17
lb turkey.
I don't remember the weight of mine, but close to 6 lbs. I just took
the figures from the package. It was pre-rubbed with "herbs."
As for the effect from the cold, I don't know. Depends on the type of
smoker you have. I have a K7 and cold weather doesn't matter to a K.
Not even when it gets *really* cold! But it rarely gets cold here
like in Dallas.
Eddie in San Jose, who went to Crozier Tech HS in Dallas *many* years
ago.
btw, I've never heard of mesquite olive oil.