Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Minty glaze

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
>>> Recipe sounds good in any case.
>>> What kind of crab are you using for the crabmeat?

>> Usually dungeness.

> Hard to get around here. Almost all shellfish sold here in KC
> are prefrozen,
> IQF or otherwise, so I just look for good qualtiy and try to
> avoid the stuff
> that's thawed in the grocer's meat case since it just came out
> of freezer
> packs anyway in almost every instance. I'd prefer to just thaw
> it when I'm
> ready to use it. You can get Alaska or King crab, also
> prefrozen, (which
> also in almost every instance has been pre-steam-cooked before
> freezing) and
> other varieties in the Asian stores, still mostly frozen but
> occasionally
> live, and from high end stores like Whole Foods.
>
> The frozen shrimp is usually EZ Peel though, shells split but
> still on and
> vein removed, ready to cook, shell on or off, and I like the
> flavor much
> better than the precooked shrimp which seem to have just been
> steamed
> without seasoning. Good prices sometimes, I just bought several
> pounds of
> 26-30 EZ Peel for 5 bucks a pound. It cooks up great deep fried,
> in asian
> dishes, or scampi style. Scallops have the same prefrozen
> situation, and
> again prices all over the board, but right now 11-15 sea
> scallops for about
> 10 bucks a pound.
>
> I'm tempted to try that recipe with the frozen raw shrimp,
> canned lump, and
> chopped scallop meat. That's the best I can hope to do here in
> the middle of
> the frozen tundra.

Our grocery stores here in LV usually have a big selection of
seafood, but it's like yours, Marty, it's flash frozen. The large
shrimp are both Pink and Tiger, selling for $9.99/# in the U12
category and I've also seen them in U8 for the same price. The
pinks, for some reason, are not split/deveined, where the Tigers
are. I usually avoid the pinks anyway, since they seem mushy,
where the Tigers are firm. Sea Scallops are almost always the
U10's for $7.99/# at most Albertson's and the big King crab legs
are around $13/# when on sale.

Like you, I almost never get the thawed ones: I ask the meat guy
to go in the back and bring out a bag or two of the frozen ones.

We tend to grill a lot, and one of the favorites you might
consider is fresh Gazpacho with grilled scallops floating in it.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.