Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Why is rosemary .............

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:16:47 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 17:30:12 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>wrote:
>
>>Steve B wrote:
>>>
>>> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
>>> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
>>> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
>>> lot goes flying.

>>If you know what the plant looks like, you can probably
>>find some for free at a local park, library, school,
>>or supermarket parking lot. It's commonly used as a
>>hedge.

>Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
>rosemary in the winter.

Mine is looking just fine after 8" of snow last week, some of which is
still on the ground and below freezing every night since the snow. I
have 2 good sized ones. One is 4' plus planted next to a fence and
the other is about 2 feet and in a planter. The taller one was about
6" and scrawny when I set it out 5 years ago. The other was in a 3"
pot I bought at the farmers market a year later. They are pretty
hearty.
--
Susan N.