Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Why is rosemary .............

Steve B wrote:

> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
> lot goes flying.

It's sold in it's natural form LOL.

Just put them in a cloth bag, cook your dish and remove the bag.

> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
> the final dish?

Personal preference really. Powdered herbs and spices are obviously
subject to adulteration. Buying the whole needle rosemary (or whole
peppercorns, nutmeg etc) is better. We just go out to the back garden
and cut off a sprig of rosemary and strip the needles off that

> And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which I
> did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
> dominate the taste?

No need to break them up at all. They will release their flavour oils
into the marinade. Just brush them off prior to roasting. They will
dominate the taste only if too much was used.